• Jul
  • 08
  • 2008

Teaching Islam to our Children: An Important Islamic Duty

Islam teaches us different ways to attain success. One best way is to seek Islamic knowledge based on the Qur’an and the Sunnah. We need to spend time, money, efforts, emotions and patience to learn authentic knowledge of Islam not only for our own success but also to be able to share it to others, especially to our children.

The most important and lasting gift or inheritance that we can give to our children is knowledge of Islam. It is a must that we should educate our children with Islamic knowledge since as parents we are accountable to their success and failure. The Prophet (peace be upon him) makes it very clear that we are accountable to our respective families/children:

Abdullah ibn Umar reported that he heard the Prophet Muhammad (saws) saying: “Every one of you is a guardian, and responsible for what is in his custody. The ruler is a guardian of his subjects and responsible for them; a husband is a guardian of his family and is responsible for it; a lady is a guardian of her husband’s house and is responsible for it, and a servant is a guardian of his master’s property and is responsible for it. A man is a guardian of his father’s property and is responsible for it so all of you are guardians and responsible for your wards and things under your care).”

(Bukhâri 3/592)

Malik bin Huwairth narrated: “I came to the Prophet (saws) with some men from my tribe and stayed with him for twenty nights. He was kind and merciful to us. When he realized our longing for our families, he said to us: “Go back and stay with your families and teach them the religion. And offer the prayer and one of you should pronounce the Adhan for the prayer when its time is due. And the oldest one amongst you should lead the prayer.”

(Bukhari 1/601)

The above authentic Ahâdîth clearly show how the Prophet (saws) commands us Muslims to be responsible to our respective families. The best way to perform our duty to our children is to teach them Islam. Allah tells us that our children, just like our wealth and possessions, are but a trial from Him. Allah the Most High says:

“Your riches and your children may be but a trial: whereas Allah, with Him is the highest Reward.”

[Qur'an 64:15]

Since our children are but a trial and that the highest reward is with Allah the Almighty, it is then our responsibility to guide our children to Islam. It is only through Islam that they can become righteous and be of service to Allah. We pass Allah’s trial once our children worship and please our Creator.

Remember that the best thing that we can give to our children is knowledge of Islam. It is the best education and the best means to fight ignorance and drive away evil.

Excerpts from an article by Dr. Norlain Dindang Mababaya

22 Responses to “Teaching Islam to our Children: An Important Islamic Duty”

1. John says:

Good ideas. Added links on my site

2. Mashallah now we can find many resources to teach our children about the deen. I set aside half an hour to teach islam to all my children. I have been doing this for nearly an year and subhanallah my children are better behaved. I also invite their friends into these mini lectures. Children love it especially if you try and involve examples they can relate to. Now they prefer to have an islamic story rad to them at night rather than any other.

3. shady says:

our duty as parents

4. Mansoor says:

Assalam,

You’ve you guys been ?

I am a young man of 28, not married yet, but heard about a hadith on how to be a successful husband and a father later in life. I was further browsing and came across this beautiful website. It indeed is awesome!

I listen a lot to the lectures from brother Nouman Ali Khan and Abdul Nasir Jangda. While scrolling down the “Islamic Websites”, on the left of the web site, I just felt the urge to let you know to include http://www.bayyinah.com web site to the existing list. It is an amazing source of information on Islam and a wonderful place for Tafaseers.

That’s all I wanted to let you know. You guys are doing an awesome job.

Thank you for reading.
    Mansoor

5. abdulsalam says:

Assalam Aliakum Brothers
    great Tips

6. Muna says:

mashallah great website :)

7. abdulsalam says:

Thanks brothers : )

8. Samira says:

masallah its a good website thanks brothers in islam ivelearn a lot from this. thanks you

9. Hamza says:

i love this

10. abdulsalam says:

11. Hamza says:

Assalam,

You’ve you guys been ?

I CAME IN PEACE

V TEC JDM

12. Muna says:

just chilling boys

13. hamza says:

to cool for scool

14. Hamza says:

i am smart toyato supra 900 horse power v6 vs nissa silvia tubro vs nissan skyline

15. hamza says:

what a webstite i ove it so much you teach me so much you teach stuff that i never know i use to be dumb thank you

16. hamza says:

jj

17. hamza says:

jj
    not iam smart

18. abdulm says:

sadgit this iss shit

19. lotfi says:

20. lotfi says:

God gives you good deeds,

21. s imran says:

I would like to ask is it write to ask a child to make dua for a toy or chocolate in order to complete his or task like praying, eating …etc, and later give Jim or her the chocolate but if he or her makes a dual for something when I am not there and I cannot give her or him that thing ……… is this way rite????