• Sep
  • 17
  • 2008

The Rewards for Raising Daughters in Islam

The encouragement to seek children covers both sons and daughters, and along with this general encouragement Islam has given special merits to seeking and bringing up girls – contrary to the thinking of the people of ignorance (age of ‘Jaahiliyyah’) of the past and present, since the people of ignorance – wherever and whenever found – hated (some of them ‘still do’) to have daughters and were grieved and angered by their births!

“And when the news of (the birth of) a female (child) is brought to any of them, his face becomes dark, and he is filled with inward grief! He hides himself from the people because of the evil of that whereof he has been informed. Shall he keep her with dishonour or bury her in the earth? Certainly, evil is their decision.” (An-Nahl 16:58-59)

But the Messenger of Islam, Muhammad (peace be upon him), came elevating the status of this gift given by Almighty Allah, welcoming the daughters, and raising high the importance of their upbringing with words to delight the hearts of the believing fathers and bring joy to their souls:

“Whoever takes care of two girls until they reach adulthood – he and I will come (together) on the Day of Resurrection – and he interlaced his fingers (meaning in Paradise).” (Reported by Muslim)

So can there be any greater honour given to daughter and for those who wish to have them and bring them up properly? And he said in another Hadith:

“Whoever has three daughters or sisters, or two daughters of two sisters, and lives along with them in a good manner, and has patience with them, and fears Allah with regard to them will enter Paradise.” (Reported by Abu Dawud, Al-Tirmidhee and others)

And in another Hadith: “They will be a shield for him from the Fire.” (Reported by Ahmad and Ibn Maajah)

And along with the Messenger’s(peace be upon him) honoring the daughters with his words, we find that he also gave us a living example in his own actions and behavior – for example,

“One day he led his Companions in Prayer whilst carrying Umaamah bint Zaynab(ra) when he made rukoo’ he would put her down, then when he stood, he would pick her up.” (Reported by Al-Bukhari and Muslim)

So the position of daughters in Islam is very clear and the encouragement that it gives for them, and also the hatred it has for those who hate them or are grieved at their births! We know from this that hatred in some souls toward something – if found – is not a true judgement upon that thing and this is explained in the Qurân, as Allah(swt) says:

“…If you dislike them, it may be that you dislike a thing and Allah brings through it a great deal of good.” (An-Nisa’ 4:19)

So how many righteous women have brought happiness and well-being upon their families and their Ummah!? And how many corrupt young men have brought every form of misfortune and trial upon this Ummah!?

Therefore, it is upon the parents who have intellect to accept whatever Allah’s gift is with full joy and happiness, whether the gift is male or a female. Since its being a male or being a female is due only to Allah’s order alone – He, the One free from all imperfections – and Most High says:

“To Allah belongs the kingdom of the heavens and the earth. He creates what He wills. He bestows female (offspring) upon whom He wills, and bestows male (offspring) upon whom He wills. Or He bestows both males and females, and He renders barren who He wills. Verily, He is the All-Knower and is Able to do all things.” (Ash-Shura 42:49-50)

By Yoosuf ibn ‘Abdullaah Al-‘Areefee

12 responses to “The Rewards for Raising Daughters in Islam”

1. […] regard to them will enter Paradise.” (Reported by Abu Dawud, Al-Tirmidhee and others) Source: Raising daughters […]

2. Haytham says:

Mashallah, It’s a really good reward, it must be no easy job for parents, but it worth it =)

3. usman afzal says:

salam

i have three daughters and i love them all very much and thank allah for there heath. i did want my 3rd to be a boy but only because i allready had to girls. but i dont care now, allah is the best of all planners and iam sure he has something good planned for me. may allah bless us all.

4. Ghulam Murtaza says:

Thanks God who has blessed me with five daughters, i am happy but pepole are not i do not understand why still muslim society are so afraid of this so precious gifts of God even my own family considers me weak and incomplete although God blessed me with lot of rewards ,am earning good and good status que in society, in village people takes pity on me ,i always laugh on them and make them try to understand the reality but they can ‘t oh my God are we muslim..the problem with us to not nuderstanding the teaching of islam

5. s says:

I have a beutiful daughter n 2nd one on the way. myself n my husband are happy but we hate the fact everyone else pitys for us n makes it out as if its someting bad as they all have boys and there is one gal in my family who has five bros. at one point my sis said to me i have got bad luck from her and im cursed. i really hate the fact ppl tink like this as we should be grateful we are gifted with children look at the ppl who cant have kids and are dieing for them

6. s says:

Mashallah.

7. SHAHNAWAZ says:

Masahallah I hav a sweet 2mnth old daughter n I m so happy that allah swt bless me with a precious gift n I named her fatimah zahra haider.
    Plz dear muslim brother n sister be happy for daughters.
    And always pray for good life n tarbiyat for our daughter n sister

8. emma dagdeviren says:

please could some one give me some advice on how to teach my children islam as i have only been a muslim myself for just over a year and im still learning and my husband and i have decided it is time for our 4 children to learn but i dont know where to start

9. shah says:

Allah SWT has blessed me with 2 beautiful daughters, i never got a chance to be happy about their arrival as my in laws greive upon female offspring. Every single day it feels like i am a faliure and according to them the problem lies within me that i can not bier a male child.

10. Abux2 says:

Na’am. I agree with you all. I also have been blessed with princesses. Or inshaaAllah pious Sahabiat. I wanted to find the Hadith to send to my brother who is non Muslim. MashaaAllah, he had the “awwe dagg” response to what we expect to be our third girl. My doesn’t know and doesn’t want to know. But I asked the Doc. Anyway. Na’am girls are good. Children are mirrors of thier patents so no matter what Allah presents you have to put in the work. The best way to end uo with a good kid is to fill our lives with Sunnah. So the child mimics the Rasul. Asa.

11. A says:

I am very grateful to allah subhana watallah that he has blessed me with two beautiful angles name (Nabiha and Samia).

12. ra says:

Cherish every gift given by Allah swt! and love it to the fullest! My Allah swt forgive us and grant us Jannah

Flickr Stream