I have been making this carrot cake for years but sadly I have forgotten where it originated from. So I cannot take credit for this absolutely divine carrot cake, though, I did make it myself (countless times) and photographed it; and its always a winner, hands down! Let me tell you, its so soft and moist and I usually would cover the entire cake with chopped walnuts, unfortunately I didn’t have enough at the time of baking it, so I just sprinkled a bit over the top. But if you do, please, please be generous. It just brings it all together, Yum!
RECIPE FOR MOIST CARROT CAKE WITH LEMON CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
Prep time: 20mins
Cook time: 50mins
1 cup plain flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup grated carrots
Pinch of salt
50g butter, melted
90g cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1.5 cup icing sugar
1.5 tsp lemon juice, sift out pulp
Method for Cake
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees. Grease a round baking tin and line bottom and sides with baking paper.
2. In a large bowl, mix sugar, oil and eggs using a hand whisk until just combined. Do not overwhisk.
3. In another bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon.
4. Then add step 3 to the liquid mixture in step 2 and combine well with a spatula.
5. Add carrots and fold mixture.
6. Pour into the pan and bake for 50 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
7. Cool completely before putting the icing on.
Method for Icing
1. In large bowl, mix butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer.
2. Add sugar and lemon juice. Mix again until creamy.
3. Spread generously onto cake and drizzle the nuts all over.