A good’ol roast chicken is a family favourite in our home. So easy and yummy. Literally all you have to do is just clean and season it, then chuck it in the oven. Its so simple that I make this once a week. My husband is a big fan. I serve it with some gravy and sometimes add stuffing depending on my mood.
The secret for creating fresh recipes is using fresh ingredients. Thyme from our garden. I just leave them like that.
With chicken stuffing, you can be a little adventurous. There is the traditional breadcrumbs + herb, or the asian ‘rice’ stuffing, or simply let your imagination go wild and stuff with whatever takes your fancy; fruit? nuts? couscous? cheese? Why not! The best part about roast chicken is, when you have leftovers, you can make a chicken salad sandwich for your lunch the next day! I will blog about this sandwich in my next entry, so stay tune. Here it is. For now, this is the recipe. Nothing fancy, just really simple. But yummy of course.
P/s: I couldn’t take a picture of the whole chicken because as I was getting my camera ready, it was already being dissected! I told you its a family favourite. No time wasters!
RECIPE FOR ROAST WHOLE CHICKEN WITH GARLIC, THYME AND LEMON
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 1 hour
1 kg (small-medium) sized chicken
10 cloves garlic (for paste), pound in mortar and pestle
6 cloves garlic, whole unpeeled
3 medium potatoes, quartered
3 carrots, halved longways
1/4 cup olive oil
6 sprigs of thyme (or 3 tsp dried thyme)
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp black pepper
3 tsp salt
10cm long cotton twine string (to tie the legs)
1. Clean and rinse the chicken inside out and pat dry. Do not remove the chicken skin.
2. Marinate the whole chicken with garlic paste, thyme, salt and pepper. Rub it thoroughly and put the stuffing in the cavity. Drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil then tie the legs together with a cotton twine string. Refrigerate overnight or at least 2 hours.
3. Heat oven to 200 degrees. Lightly grease a roasting pan, place a roasting rack and put the chicken on top.
4. Bake for 30minutes then swap the chicken the opposite way. Add in the cut vegetables and unpeeled garlic underneath the chicken rack. Bake for another 30minutes until golden brown (you can see the crunchy skin).
5. Stand chicken for 5 minutes before serving and don’t forget to remove the string.
Ingredients for gravy
2 tbsp gravy (I used store bought powder gravy ‘Greens’)
4 tbsp chicken juice (get it from the roast chicken)
5 tbsp water
Heat up the chicken juice and water in a small gravy pan and then gradually add the gravy powder, whilst whisking continuously to avoid any lumps.
Ingredients for stuffing
1/3 cup breadcrumbs
1/2 small sized onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, finely diced
2 sprigs thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Place all the ingredients in a small-medium sized bowl and gently combine with a wooden ladle. Then add into the cavity of the chicken.
Click ‘Read More’ below to print out the recipe and leave a comment.